Cardiac arrest strikes immediately and without warning.
Here are the signs:
- Sudden loss of responsiveness (no response to tapping on shoulders).
- No response to tapping on shoulders.
- Does nothing when you ask if he"s OK.
If these signs of cardiac arrest are present:
- Yell for help
- Tell someone to call 9-1-1 or your emergency response number and get an AED (if one is available).
- If you are alone with an adult who has these signs of cardiac arrest, call 9-1-1 and get an AED (if one is available).
- Check breathing:
- If the person isn"t breathing or is only gasping, give CPR.
- Push hard and push fast
- Use an AED as soon as it arrives by turning it on and following the prompt.
- Keep pushing until the person starts to breathe or move or someone with more advanced training takes over.